Friday, October 1, 2010

Virgo birthday

Happy, happy birthday!



So I realize, I know many and am close to WAY too many Virgo babies. Sigh, I just can't help myself, they tend to be lovable - for the most part.


So here is to the one and only 'Bacon' LT. On a side note, 'Bacon' demanded that I surprise her on her 27th birthday with some baked goodies, since I have "never made anything specifically for her."

Some things you need to know about 'Bacon' is that she simply loves bacon. She does have a strong obsession with her initials. And since purple is her absolute favorite color, I figured to incorporate a few of her favorite things.



This surprise spread includes: one mini red velvet cake, some personalized dark chocolate Hostess style cupcakes, lavender cupcakes with butter cream. And of course, I prepared some red velvet cake balls with chocolate or vanilla candies, in martini glasses. 


The lavender cupcakes were an experiment as this was my first time ever making them. These are actually vanilla cupcakes with lavender creme filling and topped with a citrus butter cream. I used both oranges and lemons for the butter cream and it turned out to be my favorite! 


Nothing beats a chocolate cupcake with marshmallow filling. The rich ganache topping made with bittersweet chocolates made it even better. Ahh, reminds me of childhood.


Purple candy melts + plastic tip bottle = lifesaver


I know, a little camera happy here, but both the birthday girl and I were so excited.


Much, much sweeter then a Dirty Martini drink, but I hope you still love them!


And of course no birthday is complete without a birthday cake. Don't believe? Just look it up in my rule book.


I decided with so much color, to keep it simple and white. Although next time, I would attempt some chocolate curls on top. But that's for another experiment.



Those layers always tempt me...


Haha, this was before I added pastel purple food coloring. The tart citrus balances well with the sweetness of the lavender. Indeed, no soapy taste. I consider that a big success when baking with lavender.



Oh, and here's another demanding Virgo. A few days following Bacon's birthday was RG's. He absolutely craves the buttery goodness that is the lemon bar.


Look at that crust. I try not to think of the amount of butter involved and just enjoy. Since birthdays don't count, I hope that includes me ;)


Simple enough to make, so I thought I'd indulge him. Especially since he's been ever so helpful and sweet with me hitting my goals. 


Happy, happy birthday RG!




And now back to Bacon. You are and will always be my soul bit@!


Let's keep it classy. After all, you are 27!



Happy birthday Bacon! May this year and the coming years get even better and sweeter.




1 comment: