Wednesday, December 15, 2010

At the Table: Hot Day in the City

I was visiting some friends in San Francisco for a weekend and had to try out some of the places listed on The 2010 Big Eat SF on 7x7.com

We started at Tartine Bakery and Cafe for their famous morning bun. I have to admit, I went a little nuts.


The croissant


The morning bun, with just a hint of orange sugar goodness, this was divine


For cheese lovers out there, this is a MUST TRY, the gougeres. A delicious puff ball made of gruyere cheese, need I say more?


Lemon tart, which quite frankly was very tart. Probably why I loved it.


The tres leches cake slice. Voted one of the best in the city, I can still dream of the creamy goodness. 

As you can see, I made a total pig of myself. I did forget to take a picture of the Jamon sandwich on sourdough and the drinks we ordered. That along with these treats laid out on our table for two had several other bakery goers stop by our table and asked if we ordered some sort of sampler lunch time meal ;( I think my partner in crime, BLT, was a bit embarrassed but it was my first time and I seriously wanted to try everything. She's lucky to be able to stop by Tartine any time the need hits.

^-^

Another spot I've been meaning to try is Fleur de Lys. Chef Hubert Keller was darling on Bravo's Top Chef and Top Chef Masters. My girls and I decided to go decadent and indulge ourselves.

While waiting to take our order, they brought out


Popcorn with truffle oil


Gazpacho with side of potato salad mousse


For appetizer, I ordered the Symphony of choucroute fondant with caviar - foie gras and smoked duck burger, sesame beef tartare and golden panisse fries

The entree was a seared filet mignon with lobster truffled mac & cheese en brioche, accented wtih red wine, shallot, thyme Bordelaise sauce
Isn't the close up so juicy? My mouth is watering again.

For dessert I ordered the Grand Marnier Souffle

Fleurburger! Too cute, and chocolatey goodness. I think my favorite was the banana milk shake


Apple tart, nice, crispy crust


Look at the height on that souffle!


Since it was BLT's birthday the prior week, we celebrated again ;p
A lecuma panna cotta surprise!

The manager was sweet enough to send over an assorted petite dessert plate after all the sweets we just ate!


Even though stuffed, we managed to somehow finish everything. Then after THAT, our awesome waiter brought over some new dessert wine for us to sample before we left.

I have to admit, the biggest highlight of the night was when Chef Keller himself made the rounds and checked in on us in the middle of appetizers. I was so starstruck! But I did manage to get a hug and a picture from him. What a sweet man, he even held the door and walked us out when we were done with dinner later that night. I felt absolutely pampered! Of course, with the amount we are paying, I guess that level of service is to be expected. 

I would go back for that sort of service. That, and the lobster mac & cheese, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment