Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Faux Hostess

Cost Plus World Market has the funnest things there! I had to stop myself from spending every last dime.


Aren't these cupcake liners adorable? Its made from silicone too.





And they carry good old fashioned Marshmallow fluff! I was smiling the whole time I held this jar.




So this trip down memory lane led me to other childhood comforts. Growing up, one of my favorite snacks was the Hostess cupcake. Chocolate cake with a surprise! Vanilla center and more chocolate on top. Then there's that swirl. I never did learn why, but I loved seeing that white swirl, so simple, so tantalizing. And there's always two in a pack, meaning I can have one all to myself and still share with my sisters.



Ganache, such a scary concept. But turns out wonderfully easy and simple to make.




So have the Devil's food chocolate cupcakes cooled, which was made with ....Dutch processed cocoa powder! Insert filling. Then dip and swirl the cupcakes right away into the ganache and let it set.



Glossy and gorgeous...I felt like Alice falling down, down the rabbit hole.



I couldn't stop myself. There were mini cupcakes glistening with their ganache topping. I had to top that, with chocolate frosting swirls.



It's like a Hostess kiss, but creme filled.



The leftover marshmallow filling was put to good use. I made these specifically for Y's birthday. She's a total chocolate, chocolate, chocolate fiend. Which always weirds me out because she's so healthy and physically active. Although I have learned recently that a lot of healthy people have very sinful indulgences.

So with a little imagination, the swirly 'y' was born. I love personalizations, and cursive writing.



Of course, I couldn't ignore that tantalizing swirl I remember so fondly. Plus they were quick and fun to make.



Ta-da!



Wouldn't you want a gift box full of personalized, homemade cupcakes for your birthday? Yummy, I think I'll lapse into a sugar coma if I consume all this.



Happy 21st birthday again, Y! And thanks for giving me the perfect excuse to indulge in a childhood favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment