Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Halloween Dinner

Ahh, my absolute favorite holiday in my favorite season. The crispness of the cool air followed by an explosion of orange, green and brown leaves crunching under my boot-clad feet. The breeze grows stronger., making me thankful to be wearing a scarf as my short hair becomes windblown in its usual mess. That is fall for me.  

So to celebrate, I decided to throw a Halloween dinner party. Surprise! I actually can cook savory foods too.



Here's a homemade Fatburger version with the fried egg hamburger. Seasoned well, topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions with a bed of spinach.



And pumpkins! That's another great thing about autumn. Craving them can be so much fun. I let N pick the design this year. Her and Square Bear did an excellent job.



Here's the spread, folks.



Only in California can you still use the grill. We started with a spinach & pear salad and crostini topped with an olive oil, balsamic vinegar and onion marmalade. Next dish was a cheesy tomato orzo in jack-o'-lantern bell peppers. The main dish were the pork ribs and brussel sprouts with smashed potatoes (yes, they are not mashed, as per Rachel Ray), and grilled asparagus.


The jack-o'-lanterns are so cute! And I started eating brussel sprouts recently. They are my fourth favorite vegetable, behind potatoes, pumpkins and tomatoes. Honestly, I use to hate the idea of brussel sprouts. But if you put in a bit of effort, just a tiny bit, they can taste delicious. I briefly blanch them in boiling water then cut in half for a quick pan sear. A drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper will suffice. If you want a more complex taste, add in some dijon or regular mustard with onions and it is divine. So quick and easy for a delicious side. The guests were doubtful, but I converted them. Try it one day and you'll thank me.





Dry ice, ooohh, spooky. Plus it looks really cool and is fun to play with.


Always gotta have dessert to finish off a meal. Cupcakes, of course

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment